Shipka Monument (aka “Monument of The Liberty”) is a monumental construction, located at Shipka summit in Stara Planina mountain, north of town of Shipka. The memorial complex was erected in memory of the fallen Bulgarian volunteers and Russian soldiers during the Shipka battles in the summer of 1877. Shipka battle plays a crucial role in the Russo-Turkish War and for the liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule.
The current monument was inaugurated in 1934. He is a big tower of dolomite (32.5 meters high), with shape of a truncated pyramid. Above the entrance of the tower is situated a giant bronze lion (8 meters x 4 meters). At opposite side are inscribed sites of the major battles – Shipka, Stara Zagora, Sheynovo.
On the ground floor of the memorial there is a large marble sarcophagus, where bones of Russian soldiers and Bulgarian volunteers are kept. On the next floors there are various objects, military flags and relics related to the epic battles.
The monument is part of a national park-museum Shipka.
|Tags||Shipka, Shipka Monument|
|Color||orange, blue, blue-green, blue-violet, white, yellow-orange|
|Time of day||Morning|
|Video Size||Full HD, Ultra HD/4K|
|Response time (up to)|